Now & then musings and meditations,

Responding to inspirations and invitations

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Passages: Remembering my father


On Monday morning this week, we said our final good byes to our beloved father, Bill de Alva.  We'd spent the last 11 days in a vigil by his bedside in the ICU - a heart-rending and rich time to be together. I'll carry memories of that time, of the stories shared, of the occasional smiles Dad had in response to the gathering of up to 25 family and friends that gathered around him.  Next week, we will gather again, to celebrate his life and memory.

(The photo shows four of my siblings when we were gathered together with him. From the left - brother Bill, John, me (Marti), Dad, and my sister Susana. Missing from this photo is my brother Paul.

In 2008, I did a StoryCorps interview with Dad, which if I can - I'd like to post here.  Hearing his voice and stories will be a treasured way of keeping him close.  (Hoping the uploader will accept an audio file in place of a video file.  Have not done this before....)

As it turns out, I've not been able to successfully get this interview uploaded.  If I find a way to add it later, I will.  In any case, I will be posting other memories as I go....

My brother Bill found a way to post the interview so that it can be listened to online at this link:






No comments: